Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Note that started it all...

The following is a Facebook note I posted on Saturday, April 2nd:


My mom posted a note last night (which I included at the end of this note) and it is exactly what I needed to read right now.


Ever since my surgery a month ago, I've put on most of the weight that I had lost during the couple of months prior. I've been tellin' myself for the past few days that, starting next Monday, I HAVE to get my butt back into gear, with both exercising and watching my daily calorie intake.


Around the beginning of 2009, I started putting on weight and it continued until I was 20+ pounds heavier than I've ever been in my entire life. 148 pounds is just NOT acceptable anymore, especially for a girl of my short height and young age.


I'm sick of being embarrassed about going places because of how insecure I feel about the way I look. I'm sick of not wanting to see old friends because I'm embarrassed about how different I look now. I'm sick of looking at pictures of myself from the past two years and wondering why I let myself get like this. I'm sick of looking at pictures of myself from between high school through 2008 and wishing I still looked that way. I'm sick of not wanting to go to church activities because I'm so unhappy with the way I look. I'm sick of not feeling the healthiest I could be feeling right now because, well, I'm not the healthiest I could be right now.


Most of all, I'm sick of wishing for that 123-pound body I had two years ago. It's time to get it back; it's time to work hard to get it back and to not give up. It's time to get the toned muscle back, the slimmer body back, and, most importantly, the healthier body back. I know I can do it; I just need to get it done.


I know I have the inner strength, the motivation, the determination, the willpower, the good reasons, and the ability to do it, but I'm gonna HAVE to push aside the laziness, the excuses, the insecurity, the procrastination, and the frustration in order to do it.


Anyways, here's the note I read, which my mom posted last night, that inspired me to put these feelings and frustrations that I've been having out there:


"After much contemplation, I have decided to go public with my journey. It's about becoming healthy. Losing weight will be a by-product of that journey, not the goal. I'm tired of being the fat exercise instructor. Hypocrisy has never been my thing, so at one point I even decided to quit teaching. But now I realize I should change the fat part, not the instructor part. My problem is not with my ability to exercise. I love exercise. My idea of a dream vacation is to go on a fitness cruise, where I could take as many classes in a day as I could breathe through. My problem is with food. Unlike other addictions, a person cannot live without food. I can't just move to a new town or find new friends who don't use food. I have to learn the art of control, which is ironic because I'm a pretty organized, controlled person otherwise. So, as I begin this journey, like any other kind of addict, I have to have no secrets. I begin personal training next week and will be posting my weight every week.In doing this, I have 2 goals: to become healthy again AND to maybe help someone else who is struggling in this same way."


P.S. - I love my mom. I'm pretty sure she's gonna write a book one day. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment