Sunday, April 24, 2011

Making Changes, Not Excuses

Over the past two-and-a-half years, I've done nothing but make excuses. I'm done with making excuses.

I'm not just talking about making excuses for not exercising and not eating right; I'm talking about making excuses in all other aspects of my life as well. In my opinion, all other aspects of my life are greatly affected by how I take care of my body and how I take care of my body can be greatly affected by all other aspects of my life. Everything just works together and goes hand-in-hand in making me who I am and in helping me determine how I will live my life and the choices I will make.

But the thing is, it's all about choices. I can choose to let how I take care of my body affect all other aspects of my life, and I can choose to let all other aspects of my life affect how I take care of my body. This is where the whole "priorities" thing comes in. And that's where I failed about two-and-a-half years ago. Not only did exercising and eating right fall off the priority list, but so did everything else. I basically had no priority list; all I had were my own weaknesses and excuses. Those were my "priorities". Those were the things that I let determine how I lived my life and the choices I made. What a sad, sad way to live.

Those weaknesses, fears, and excuses that I chose to allow to control how I lived and control the choices I made were things like lack of self-confidence, my increased weight, pride, laziness, insecurity, inability to adjust well to change, fear, self-pity. These are all great excuses, right? But that's all they are. Excuses. And excuses are merely pathetic justifications for personal weaknesses which could be overcome if I made the choice to overcome them.

I am making that choice now. No more excuses. I need to throw all of my excuses out the window and face my weaknesses and fears head-on. Unless I do this, I will NEVER overcome these things and become stronger.

Some days, I wish the weight would just come off overnight. Some days, I wish I could just be done with it and working on maintaining rather than having to focus on losing. But if I could just lose it overnight, then I wouldn't have this experience of having to work and make sacrifices to lose the weight. I wouldn't learn anything. I wouldn't have this opportunity for growth and progression.

I'm so grateful for this experience, and I plan to take it and run with it. ...Literally.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I can relate to these things you've said. This has been a much bigger priority in my life the last couple of years as well, especially as I am now fighting against Southern style of eating (uphill battle for sure).

    I feel that reaching for a healthier you really starts with a re-evaluation with what is healthy and good for your body. There is so much out there and the more you read sometimes the more confusing it gets, but when you start learning real truths you'll know. Start digging and you won't regret it. My two cents: be very careful not to eliminate all fats - your brain needs fat to function and you will fill good eating good fats. Also I highly recommend this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM. It's long, but AMAZING!! To me this information is worth it's weight in gold!

    Good LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete