Monday, May 9, 2011

Weeks 1-5 of "Operation: Make Changes, Not Excuses"

So I just finished week 5 of "Operation: Make Changes, Not Excuses" and things are going quite well. I'm making progress, which is obviously very motivational and encouraging.


As far as the workouts are concerned, I'm gonna share what I've done differently in different areas during the past 5 weeks, just to show some simple comparisons:


Total number of minutes of working out per week:

Week 1: 280 (4 sessions, 70 minutes per session)
Week 2: 280 (4 sessions, 70 minutes per session)
Week 3: 300 (4 sessions, 75 minutes per session)
Week 4: 400 (5 sessions, 80 minutes per session)
Week 5: 360 (4 sessions, 2 80-minute session and 2 100-minute sessions)


Workout DVDs used:

Week 1: Last Chance Workout (4 sessions)
Week 2: Last Chance Workout (4 sessions)
Week 3: Last Chance Workout (4 sessions)
Week 4: Last Chance Workout (4 sessions), Jillian Michaels' Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (1 session)
Week 5: Jillian Michaels' Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (1 session), Totally Fit with Mel B. (1 session), Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred (1 session), Jillian Michaels' Last Chance Workout (1 session)


Weights:

Week 1: 5-pounders only
Week 2: Mostly 5-pounders, little bit with 8-pounders
Week 3: Mostly 8-pounders, little bit with 5-pounders
Week 4: 8-pounders only
Week 5: Mostly 8-pounders, some with 10-pounders


Not bad, eh? Yeah, I wish I would've done more variety as far as my workouts were concerned to start off with, but I really wanted to be careful and ease myself into a full-blown workout regimen.


A little over a week ago, I weighed myself and took my measurements for the first time in about a month. I'd only lost about three pounds. Yeah, I was a bit disappointed, but when I took my measurements, I found that I'd lost 2.25 inches around my waist (27.75 inches), I lost 1.75 inches around my hips/butt (39.25 inches), and I lost two inches around each thigh (about 25.5 inches around each one).



As far as daily calorie intake, I've done pretty well with sticking to 1200-1300 calories on days that I don't workout and 1500-1600 calories on days that I do workout. I have blown it here and there, but I'm doing better and learning.



This is all supposed to be a learning experience and not a rushed process. I'm taking one day at a time and trying to do the best that I can. If I make mistakes, then I try to not be too hard on myself and not beat myself up about it; I learn from the mistakes I make and then move on. Every day is a new day, right? =)

2 comments:

  1. Go you! I'm seriously SO proud. You're right, it's all about lifestyle change and not letting bad days pile up. Yay yay yay for Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've discovered that when my work outs include a lot of strength training for long periods of time, I don't lose a lot of weight, but I do lose inches and notice a definite increase in muscle tone. I'm actually trying to lose weight now, as well. I was actually at the highest weight I've ever been when I was shortly post-mission. Yeah, that's gotta change, hah.

    ReplyDelete